Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Finally, There Was a Turkey Day 5k…

For the third year in a row I ran a 5k to start off Thanksgiving.  The beauty of this year’s race was that Norman finally had it’s own Turkey Day 5k.  If I’m going to run a 5k, not having to get up early and drive far makes it much more tolerable. 

I met Anne a little early and we ran an easy mile to get warmed up, and then there were pictures.

td5k4

Tray, Tiffany, Jerry, me and Anne

I love local races and being able to see so many familiar faces out there.

After my strong run on Sunday at the Route 66 Half, I was ready to go out for a fun run. Anne and I talked about what our race goals were and we were shooting for a 25 minute race.

We set out and were running around an 8 minute pace, and it didn’t feel horrible.  I felt like I was pushing but I was not killing myself.  We were still chatting through the race.

td5k

This was in the second mile, and I really wish I looked like I was actually running.  I hate crappy race photos!

I pulled a little ahead of Anne, but she ended up passing me on the last turn on the track to the finish line.  Unofficially her time was 24:59 and mine was 25:01.  My clock time was 25:24, which was my fastest 5k of the entire year.  I hope that 2014 will bring a little more speed and a little fewer setbacks.

We did get some good post race pics.

td5k 2

Anne and I

td5k 3

Kim and I.

td5k 6

Kim’s friend, Kim, Julie and I.

td5k 7

Julie and I.  I almost didn’t recognize Julie out on the roads!

It was a great morning with some great friends.  I will definitely be back next year.  They gave long sleeved t-shirts at the finish line, along with Christmas ornaments.  What a great idea!  I am a sucker for a long sleeved t-shirt, and this was not a technical shirt either, which never seems to happen these days.

Technorati Tags: ,

4 comments:

  1. I REALLY want to run a race next Thanksgiving. I hope I can find one!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! It is my favorite way to start Thanksgiving.

      Delete
  2. Was great to see you out there, Becky! I love that Norman finally has a turkey trot and I've already signed up for next year! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so good, Julie! I would never register this far in advance. Lol. I do plan to be there.

      Delete